Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Strawberry Pizza


I needed to make a recipe for a baby shower, and just couldn't seem to figure out what to make.  I decided I wanted to try something new and had a lot of strawberries in my house that needed to be used up.  After searching around, I found this recipe and decided that it would be easy to make and I had everything needed to make it.  I thought it would basically be a fruit pizza with only strawberries on it, but I was wrong.  It turned out MUCH better as a hybrid of fruit pizza ans strawberry pie.  Of course, I forgot to get a photo of it before the baby shower, but now you can see just how much it was liked by all the ladies there!  I can't wait to have an excuse to make this one again!  The only thing I would do different, is I might make this in a 9x13 pan next time so it's easier to cut into bars instead of wedges.
Ingredients
6 T. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4t. almond extract
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
FILLING:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 c. crushed fresh strawberries
Directions
  1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  2. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over crust. Arrange sliced strawberries on top.
  4. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and crushed berries until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly. Spoon over strawberries. Refrigerate until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment