Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gluten Free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies

A friend of mine is allergic to gluten. This is not an allergy that I have run across that often, but I've heard of it. I thought I should try to make a treat that everyone could enjoy. I found this recipe and thought it looked really interesting. It also didn't require some weird flour or other ingredients that I wouldn't want extra of in my pantry, so why not try them?

They turned out really good, I thought. I guess I don't know how they compare to other gluten free products, but they are good. They have a very fine crumb and are quite delicate. The chocolate coating kind-of helps keep them together and give them a little structure. I don't know that you would know that they were gluten free, without being told, but they don't have the same texture as a "normal" cookie.

I should also note that Candiquick is a candy coating, like almond bark.  I buy it at Target and also use it for many things like Oreo balls or dipping pretzels.  If it is too thick, mix in a little vegetable oil to thin.

Ingredients
1 lb vanilla Candiquik
1lb chocolate Candiquik
2 1/2 c. peanut butter (I used smooth, but I think it could be good with crunchy to add some peanut chunks to the cookies)
1 t. vanilla
2 t. baking soda
2 eggs
6 oz. flaked coconut, toasted (optional)

Directions
  1. Melt vanilla Candiquik according to package instructions
  2. Mix in peanut butter, vanilla, baking soda, eggs and coconut if using.
  3. Form into small balls 1/2 to 1 inch balls. I used my 2 t. cookie scoop
  4. Place balls in refrigerator or freezer until cold.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
  6. Let them cool on the cookie sheets.
  7. When cool, melt chocolate Candiquik and spread with a knife on top of cookies.
  8. Once they are dry, enjoy!
Makes 5-6 dozen cookies

1 comment:

  1. They were delicious! Thanks so much taking on the gluten-free challenge... you knocked it out of the park (bark? ha!)!

    ReplyDelete