Saturday, December 31, 2011

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Girl Scout Cookies

 
Brandon told the boys they could have whatever they wanted for dessert tonight, since it was a "Holiday".  It was decided that we should bake some cookies, so I decided that we should try something new.  Another great blog post, and something different to try.  I know I've been mentioning allrecipes.com a lot lately, but once again I found myself there.  I searched for cookie and then put them in order of highest reviews.  I think this was the 3rd highest with over 700 reviews.  I also had all the ingredients and the boys thought they sounded great (and why wouldn't they with peanut butter in them...)  Any how, these turned out a little larger than I thought.  I used my 2 t. cookie scoop, and really think I could have used half of that to make them more like the girl scout cookies.  The taste, however, is FANTASTIC!  You probably need to make them smaller just because you know you'll eat more than one anyway....Sorry Girl Scouts, but I'll no longer be buying your peanut butter oatmeal cookies, these are FAR better!  Happy New Year!

Ingredients

3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla extract
1 c. quick cooking oats
3 T. butter, softened
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
2 1/2 T. heavy whipping cream (whatever milk you have in the fridge will work fine)

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1/2 cup peanut butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
  2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir. Add oatmeal and stir.
  3. Drop by teaspoons onto greased baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 9-11 minutes, or until cookies are a light brown.
  5. To Make Filling: Cream 3 tablespoons butter or margarine with the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, and the cream.
  6. Spread filling onto half of the cooled cookies, then top with the other half to form sandwiches.  (I put the frosting in a zip lock bag and snipped the end off to make frosting the cookies super easy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment