Monday, September 26, 2011

Apple Pie


So, I made this up before baby #3 and threw it in the freezer. I wanted to be able to get a few items baked and up on the blog sometime after having Emery, but knew that having a c-section and a new born baby at home would certainly limit my time and ability to be in the kitchen. This turned out good. I feel that I should try making more pies to put in the freezer for later! The only thing I would change, is that I used fairly sweet apples when I made this because that's what I had in the house. It certainly would have been a little better with something more like a granny smith apple.  Oh, and it doesn't look that pretty because I just had a baby and didn't really care what my dessert looked like...sorry...
Ingredients
1 unbaked 9-in pie shell
1/2 c. sugar (adjust for tartness of apples)
1t. cinnamon
6-8 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter

Cooking Day Directions
  1. Place pie shell in glass or disposable pie plate (for super easy clean-up)
  2. For filling, mix 1/2 c. sugar, cinnamon and apples and put in pie shell.
  3. Make topping by mixing flour, 1/3 c. sugar, and butter with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly.  Sprinkle over top of apples.
  4. Double wrap pie pan with plastic wrap and foil, and freeze.
 Serving Day Directions
  1. Pie may be baked while still frozen.
  2. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and then lower the oven temp to 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until apples are tender, juices are bubbly, and the crust lightly browned.
  3. Note:  It took much longer for my pie to bake, but I also stuffed as many apples as I could into the pie pan.  Keep baking it until the apples are tender and the juices are nice and bubbly.  If the crust is getting to dark, cover pie with aluminum foil

No comments:

Post a Comment