Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mocha Chip Muffins

My husband's birthday is tomorrow, and we will have plenty of time to celebrate with cake in the next week or so, so I decided to try something else baked for his birthday. He loves chocolate and coffee, so how could I go wrong making Mocha Chip Muffins?

They look great and they were very easy to make, even the boys helped out! Best of all, Brandon thought they were great!

Ingredients
3 c. flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
10 Tbs softened butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. plain yogurt
3 Tbs. instant espresso powder
1c. semisweet chocolate chips.

Directions
  1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat to 375 degrees.
  2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together, set aside.
  3. In small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in yogurt, set aside.
  4. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  5. Add eggs to butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
  6. Beat in 1/3 of dry ingredients then alternate with 1/3 of yogurt.  Continue pattern, until it is all incorporated.
  7. Fold in chocolate chips.
  8. Spray 16 muffin tins with cooking spray.  Use large cookie scoop to divide batter evenly among cups.
  9. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 20-23 minutes.
  10. Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
  11. Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin! I like your blog. I like to bake too and wondered if you think instant coffee (which I have) instead of instant espresso (which I rather not buy) would work? I have made two batches of some multi-grain bread this week and last week and I am so proud of myself. No bread machine either. I love America's Test Kitchen and that is where I got the recipe from. I have complete 10 seasons of recipes. :) DeeAnn Plueger (Olson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm a big fan of cook's illustrated as well. I actually got this recipe from one of their sites, but I tend to modify a little when it comes to size. This recipe was suppose to make only 12 muffins that would have been bigger than my hands! Keep up with the bread and if you get a good recipe, you'll have to let me know what works!

    As for the espresso powder vs. the instant coffee, I would think that would work, but you might need to add more. My espresso powder says to make 1 c. of coffee, use 1 t., and this recipe called for 3Tbs, so perhaps you can look at your coffee powder and see if you can compare.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete